The foundation, in February 1858, of the company Duro y Compañía, promoted by Pedro Duro Benito, marks the beginning of the business trajectory of what is today Duro Felguera. Initially, the company specialised in iron and steel production and coal extraction, becoming the country’s leading iron and steel company at the end of the 19th century.
In 1900, Duro y Compañía became Sociedad Metalúrgica Duro-Felguera, S.A., and in 1905 it was listed on the stock exchange. In 1920 it was the largest coal company in the country, thanks to whose profits important technical transformations were undertaken in the iron and steel business.
During the 1940s and 1950s, mining found a favourable environment, and in the steel industry, Duro, together with Altos Hornos de Vizcaya, dominated the national market until around 1960.
The 1960s marked the beginning of the mining and industrial restructuring process. In 1961, the Unión de Siderúrgicas Asturianas (UNINSA) was created, made up of Duro Felguera, Fábrica de Mieres and the Fábrica de la Sociedad Industrial Asturiana, the seed of what would later become ENSIDESA, to which all the steel assets of Duro Felguera were transferred. With regard to the coal business, in 1967 Duro and other mining companies transferred their assets to the public company Hulleras del Norte, S.A. (HUNOSA).
Since then, DF has been specifically dedicated to the production of capital goods, diversifying its business to meet the different equipment demands of the sectors.
|1858||Pedro Duro Benito sets up Sociedad Regular Colectiva Duro y CIA.|
|1900||Sociedad Metalúrgica Duro Felguera, S.A. is set up.|
|1905||The company is listed on the Madrid Stock Exchange.|
|1966-67||UNINSA and HUNOSA take over the steel and coal activities of S.M. Duro Felguera, S.A.|
|1968-73||S.M. DURO FELGUERA increases its activity in capital goods.|
|1974-90||The evolution of the market requires an organisational division by speciality.|
|1991||Sociedad Metalúrgica Duro Felguera becomes Grupo Duro Felguera, S.A.|
|1995||The company moves its registered office from Madrid to Oviedo (Asturias) 2001 the current company name is established: Duro Felguera, S.A.|
|2009||Opening of the group’s new headquarters in the Gijón Parque Científico Tecnológico, where the Energy and Industrial Plants lines are grouped together, as well as the corporate departments.|
|2013||The company changes its corporate image and starts operating under the DF brand.|
|2022||The company is restructured into five business lines: Conventional Energy, Industrial Plants, Services, Renewable Energies and Intelligent Systems.|